Jon Gullikson, born about 1530

Moderator: MOD_Møre_og_Romsdal

Svar
gj09661
Sted: THE NETHERLANDS

Jon Gullikson, born about 1530

Legg inn av gj09661 » 29. juni 2014 kl. 12.38

Dear friends,

I am still searching Jon Gullikson and his wife and children.~1530?
It seems he lived first in Volda and lateron he bought a farm in Høydal.
I hope you can give me some sources
Thank you in advance,
Anders Daae :!:

Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg
Sted: TRONDHEIM
Kontakt:

Re: Jon Gullikson

Legg inn av Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg » 29. juni 2014 kl. 17.24

Anders,

you have asked about these people several times previously, but you have not bothered to contribute to the clarification of your sources.

First, Volda is the parish (and court district), Høydal is a small valley and a farm in Volda.

Jon Gullikson is mentioned as a part in a case for "Herredagen" (highest court of the time) settled in Trondheim 12 Sept. 1578. The minutes of the court is transcribed and printed in E.A.Thomle: "Norske Herredags-Dombøger. Første Række 1 1ste Hæfte : (1578-1604) Dombog for 1578", Christiania : Thronsen & Co.s Bogtrykkeri, 1892 (pp.222-223). It is scanned and available for Norwegian IP addresses at the National Library,
http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/ca84b93198890 ... index=17#0

Here "Jonn Gallachsen paa Sundmøre" and his neighbour ("hans grande"; i.e. not mentioned by name), living at "Wick" and "Hødall", raised case against "Oluf Oluffsenn", who had occupied a piece of land at the border between said farms. Oluf did not meet, and the verdict was that Oluf had to move.

Since "Wick" and "Hødall" had a common border, it must be Høydalsvik and (indre) Høydal. From the minutes, it is not clear whether Jonn lived at "Wick" or "Hødall". Oluf Oluffsen is not further identified.

Next, in the 1603 tax list a "Joenn Gulichsen i Hødall" is found. http://folk.ntnu.no/ivarse/avskr/skatt1603.htm
In the next tax list (1607) http://folk.ntnu.no/ivarse/avskr/leidang1607.html "Jonn Inderhødall" can be the same man. From approx 1610, Jon disappears from the tax lists and is replaced by a Svein Jonsson; which might or might not be his son.

As far as I know the sources, this is what is known about Jon Gullikson. I do not pretend to know all sources. If you know something more, it would be of interest.

Aarviknes: "Voldasoga", Vol. 3 (1973) and Kjelland et al.: "Busetnadssoga for Volda", Vol. 3 (2007) regard Svein Jonsson Indre Høydal, Rasmus Jonsson Indre Høydal and Gullik Jonsson Øvsteberget/Rusten as sons of Jon Gullikson Høydal. The latter is referring the former, but no sources for the relations are given.

Jon Gullikson is not found in the list of land-owners. Høydal and Høydalsvik was part of the Rosenkrantz estate.

In general, very few sources of relations exist from the time. (The fact that a Svein Jonsson succedes a Jon as holder of a farm, is no evidence for a relation.) Hardly any sources mention names of women, except for a few widows in the tax lists.

In previous postings here at Slektsforum, you have several times asked about "the daughter of Jon Gulliksson who married with Oluf Eriksson Daa at Hoydalsdal". But you have never cared to reveal the source of this information. Is there any source?
Oluf Eriksson Daa seems also to be unknown. (An "Oluff daa i Høødalsdall" is mentioned in the 1603 tax list, and according to Kjelland et al., two Oluf Olufson Daa(e) are mentioned 1603-18 and 1618-48, respectively, at Dalen/Høydalsdalen).

If you have access to sources unknown to others, it will be interesting to discuss interpretation with you. If you have no sources, you are probably misled.

Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg
Kontakt:

Legg inn av Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg » 2. juli 2014 kl. 18.59

I did a little more research on the tax list entries from Høydalen.
The diverse lists of "Lensrekneskap" are the main surviving sources for the first half of the 17th century for this area. They are available as scanned images at Digitalarkivet.
http://www.arkivverket.no/arkivverket/D ... s-len-1-50
I have transcribed the two first, from 1603 and 1607:
http://folk.ntnu.no/ivarse/avskr/skatt1603.htm
http://folk.ntnu.no/ivarse/avskr/lens1607.html
and a set of some other lists from 1624-26: http://folk.ntnu.no/ivarse/avskr/jordeb ... m1626.html
(also the "leidang" and "tiende" for 1626, but these are still to be proofread and published)

First, Jon Gulliksson is found only in the lists of 1603 and 1607. In the next list, 1610,
he is replaced by "Suend". Hence, he is retired or deceased not later than 1609,
possibly before.

Second, I find the name "Oluf daa" in a few occations from 1603 to 1618; and always in this form. (No patronymicon and never "Daae"). In this time, there were two "Oluf" at Høydalsdal, one often called "Oluf Olufsen", the other just "Oluf".
In particular, I checked the lists of 1647/48 to see if Kjelland et al. ("Busetnadssoga") had a basis for a second "Oluf Daae" passing away at that time. It appears that there still was an "Oluf" (together with a Jon), but no "Daa(e)" mentioned.

In the "koppskatt" 1645, each of Oluf, Oluf and Jon Høydalsdal paid tax for a wife - but their names are not mentioned.

Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg
Kontakt:

Legg inn av Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg » 31. juli 2014 kl. 16.28

I have made some further reading about Jon and Oluf(s) in Høydal.

As mentioned, Jon Gullikson is included in the 1603 («Joenn Gulichsen i Hødall») and
1607 («Jonn indre Hødall») tax lists. In the next list, 1610, he is replaced by «Suend Hødall», who is listed until 1633. In a few occasions Svein/Svend is called "Jonsen". He may or may not be a son of Jon Gulliksen.
Jon (or Svein) is not mentioned in the lists for tax for property (land), only as holders.
In 1603 Jon is also in the list of sawmill tax. This was a small sawmill and later (the next list is in 1611) Paul ytre Høydall, Rasmus and Svein Indre Høydal alternates to pay the tax for it.

Jon Gullikson (Indre Høydal or Vikane/Høydalsvik) is also known from the case of "Herredagen" 1578, see above. Although Jon was a frequent name (4,9 % of the male, named taxpayers in 1603 - 123 out of 2521), Gullik was less frequent (only 12 of 2521).
Hence, Jon of 1578 and Jon of 1603 can well be the same. However, names often followed a family - so the Jon of 1578 might be a relative (e.g. grandfather) of the one in 1603.

In his book "Bumerke frå Sunnmøre" (Oslo 1943), Lars Strømme displays a number (12) of seals belonging to people from Austefjorden dated 1594, including Gullik Jonsson Indre Høydal and Oluf Olsson Høydalsdal. Apparently, Strømme has seen a document from this year. Unfortunately, he gives no references, and I have not seen any other mention of this document by others (Aarviknes "Volda-soga" copies Strømme, but do not mention the document or its content).
Either the document is lost forever since the 1930s- or (we can hope) "lost" into some
archive box.

Gullik may be Jon's father - or his son.

An old source, although not contemporary, is "Larsboka". This is the name of a family chronicle (transcribed and issued by Volda bygdeboknemnd, 1983), initially written by Lars Olsson Bjørkedal, 1711-1789. The writings can not be made before 1746, possibly after 1757. Lars lists his ancestors, starting with Jon Gulliksen Indre Høydal. His son was Gullik Jonsen living at "Berge" (Nedsteberget/Rusten); then Michel Gulliksen born and living at Berge; Gullik Michelsen b. 1641, married 1677 Marthe Andersdatter Vassbakke - who where the parents of Lars' father.
Lars' ggg-grandfather must be the same Jon Gullikson as in the 1603/07 tax lists, although no dates are specified for him and his son.

There is also a tax list from 1520 http://da2.uib.no/cgi-win/WebBok.exe?sl ... &storleik=
and an associated penalty list from 1522 http://da2.uib.no/cgi-win/WebBok.exe?sl ... &storleik=
which include "Jon pa Hedal"/"Joenn paa Hødall".

This Jon can hardly be the same as the Jon known from 1603/07. There is a possibility that it is the Jon known from 1578 - but it seems not very likely (given the number of years
between).

These are the sources I find related to Jon Gulliksen Indre Høydal. Strictly, not much is known about him, years of life, family - and ownership.

Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg
Kontakt:

Legg inn av Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg » 1. august 2014 kl. 0.31

The Olufs in Høydal is a longer story.... because there were several of them, and they are not readily distinguishable.

First to keep in mind: In the 1603 tax list, nearly one in five taxpayers (18,4 %) was an Oluf.
At Høydalsdal from 1607 to the 1630s, there were two Olufs paying tax, some years three - in addition to Olufs at neighbouring farms.

I have gone trough all the documents possibly concerning Høydal in Bergenhus lensrekneskap, from 1603 (the first preserved) to 1653 (the first with no Oluf at Høydalsdal). Depending on how to count, it is a matter of more than 200 tax lists, penalty lists ("sakefall") and testimonies ("tingsvitne"). The most important taxes were "Landskatt" (later called "kontribusjon" and "unionsskatt"), "leidang" and "tiende". "Landskatt" has separate lists (and taxes) for land owners, holders and sawmill owners. This came with uneven intervals in the early 1600s, later every year and 2-4 times a year. Leidang and tiende was annual; in the first years combined lists, later separate lists. Both "Landskatt" and "Leidang" has separate sections for "husmenn". What this means in the early 1600s is uncertain, but one idea is that it could be a retired peasant, not holding the farm but still having a household (and being taxable, of course). In 1627 "Garnisonsskatt" was collected and all holders mentioned by name. Later, this tax list only show the farm names (no persons). The Garnisonskatt was set up on the basis of a detailed "jordebok" (farm registry) made in 1626.

It should be mentioned that there sometimes are apparent errors in the lists. In some occations, the holders of a farm (according to previous and later tax lists) are given another farm name. For instance in 1640 Unionsskatt, we find Oluff and Oluff at Høydalsnes, and then a few lines below, also Jon and Anders Høydalsnes; but no Høydalsdal mentioned. In the other lists, Jon and Anders are at Høydalsnes, while the Oluffs are at Høydalsdal. Sometimes a farm and its holder(s) are simply left out. (A fraudulent, or just forgettable, tax collector...? - we cannot know.)
It should also be mentioned that the lists are not independent sources. The bailiff apparently used a copy of last year's list as template this year. We can see this from the set-up of the list. This practice also means that some taxpayers "survived" themselves some years (i.e. someone else payed the tax while the name remained in the list).

Then to the interest of Anders: "Oluf daa"
I have found this character (or may be these - in plural?) nine times: 1603 (Landskatt), 1613 (Knekteskatt), 1617 (Landskatt), 1618 (Landskatt), 1637 (tiendmanntal og Landskatt martini), 1638 (landskatt fastelavn, unionsskatt jonsok), 1639 (tiend). I will say this is at least two, at most four, independent sources (see above).

It is always "Oluf daa" (or "Olle daa"), and usually in Høydalsdal (diverse, but undoubtedly, spelling). In a couple of instances the farm name is left out, but the entrance located in the "right" place in the list.
In NO instance, he is named with both "daa" and a patronymicon.

In the first list (1603), there is only this Oluf in Høydalsdal. In the following lists, 1607-1648,
there are two Olufs, usually called «Oluf Høydalsdal og Oluf Olsen ibm" (patronymicon for one) or simply «Oluf Høydalsdal og Oluf ibm" (no patronymicon).
In the "jordebok" 1626 both are called "Oluf Olsen", and similarly in the "Garnisonsskatt" 1627 (based on the 1626 jordebok). With this exception, there are no instance in the "lensrekneskap" where both are mentioned with patronymicon.

In addition to the two Oluffs in the list of holders, I find an "Oluf Hødalsdal" in the list of "husmenn" in the "Landskatt" 1620, 1621 and 1623 (no list for 1622). Hence three contemporary Oluff Høydalsdal. In 1623, he is called Oluf Olsen Hødalsdal. (In 1623, but only this year, there is even a husmann Oluf Høydal.)

In "Volda-soga", Aarviknes assumes that a first Oluf daa retires about 1618 and is replaced by another Oluf daa, supposed to be his son. My theory is that Aarviknes interpreted the "husmann" as a retired holder. I cannot see any other basis (except the length of time) in the sources for a change of holder in approx 1618.

In the various tax lists 1647-48 one of the Olufs are replaced by a Jon, and in 1653 the other Oluf is replaced by a Per/Peder.

As mentioned in the posting above, Lars Strømme had found a document (otherwise unknown) of 1594 that shows a seal by Oluf Olsson Høydalsdal (and 11 others from Austefjorden).
It is plausible, but not sure, that this Oluf is the same as "Oluf daa in Høydalsdal" (1603).
Oluf Olsen might be the other holder of Høydalsdal.

There is no information about the family of "Oluf daa", except that both Olufs at Høydalsdal had a wife in 1645, and the plausible (not certain) father's name Oluf.

Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg
Kontakt:

Legg inn av Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg » 9. oktober 2014 kl. 22.08

As mentioned in the posting above, Lars Strømme had found a document (otherwise unknown) of 1594 that shows a seal by Oluf Olsson Høydalsdal (and 11 others from Austefjorden).

THe document has appeared in the "Diploma collection" skanned and published by the Digital Archives today: http://arkivverket.no/URN:db_read/db/63417/25/
Unfortunately, it is not an original but a copy made approx. 200 years later by Sivert (Sjur) Aarflot (1758-1817) .

Twelve men from Austefjorden gives a testimony about another farm (Håvik). Among the twelve named first in the document are "Oluf Hødalsdall" and "Guleck i Hødalen". Sivert has sketched the seals from the last page. The initials that are given above each seal are apparently the first name and patronymicon, while the patronymicon in most cases are left out in the text. Thus Oluf is "O: O:", which might be "O. Olsøn", and Gullik is "G:I:", which might be "G. Ionsøn" (i.e. Jonsøn).

Any "daa" is not mentioned.

After soon 3,5 months, Anders has not responded to give any hint of his sources. I think this suggests that the people mentioned ("Oluf Erikson Daa", daughter of Jon Gullikson) are fantasies, either his own or uncritically adopted from someone else.

Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg
Kontakt:

Legg inn av Ivar Ståle Ertesvåg » 10. august 2015 kl. 23.06

Det har gått over eit år utan noko svar her frå Anders Daae. (Han har vist livsteikn i minst ein annan tråd denne sommaren.)

Sidan Busetnadssoga førebur eit registerbind med rettingar (jf. https://slektsforum.slektogdata.no/view ... 636#685636), går spørsmålet dit:

I fylgje Busetnadssoga b.3 s. 71 (Dalen/Høydalsdalen) var det
to "Ole Olss. Daae" d. kring 1618 og kring 1648.
Finst det eit kjeldegrunnlag for
- namnet "Daae" (ikkje daa/Daa),
- at det var to av dei,
- dødsåra,
- og at begge var Olssøner?

Paul Hofseth
Sted: OSLO

Re: Jon Gullikson & metode

Legg inn av Paul Hofseth » 18. august 2015 kl. 8.51

Denne tråden er dels et fortreffelig eksempel på hvordan slektsforum kan gi tilgang til bred og dyp informasjon som man selv ikke har tid til å finne frem, dels et lærebokeksempel i kritisk og systematisk bruk av kilder. Metoden kan jo - med tilsvarende intensivt arbeid- brukes på andre navn og gårder.

p.

Svar

Gå tilbake til «Volda»