Help with Valleboken bind III, IV, V, VI

Moderator: MOD_Aust-Agder

Svar
gj04997
Sted: USA

Help with Valleboken bind III, IV, V, VI

Legg inn av gj04997 » 19. juni 2007 kl. 1.51

I do not know the language very well.

I have Valle Kommune books III, IV, V, VI and I need help with some abbreviations!

I know that f (født) = born and d (død) = died, but what does dsk. and n. mean?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has translated any of the stories in the Valle books to English? I have ancestors that have some interesting stories (Asmund in book VI, page 341 and Esaias Hansson Bugge in book IV, page 399). Is there anyone who has the books that I can hire to translate?

Thanks!

Scott Tinnesand

Sven Olaf Borg
Sted: ÅRNES
Kontakt:

Re: Help with Valleboken bind III, IV, V, VI

Legg inn av Sven Olaf Borg » 4. juli 2007 kl. 12.37

I have only books I and II but I found one abbrivation in those. My english is not very good but dsk. means "administration of an estate" or "certificate of probate". The process taking place when someone died. I could not find the abbrivation "n".

Brukeravatar
Harald Søren Storaker
Sted: Lyngdal
Kontakt:

Legg inn av Harald Søren Storaker » 6. juli 2007 kl. 0.29

n. is short of "notert", which means that the person in that year was mentioned in a document, made a note of.

gj04997
Sted: USA

Legg inn av gj04997 » 25. august 2007 kl. 3.10

Thank you both very much!!!

Scott

Brukeravatar
gj03981
Sted: CANADA

Legg inn av gj03981 » 21. mars 2008 kl. 15.36

Hello Scott:

I'm writing from Goderich, Ontario, Canada.

I am trying to trace my grandfather and great-grandfather, who may have lived in Aust-Agder. My great-grandfather, Arno Johnson, was a farmer. His son, my grandfather, John Carl Johnson, (born approximately 1859) was a mariner (steward on a merchant ship) and may have lived in Arendal. Is it possible that Arno’s farm was located in Valle? Have you come across any of these names in the Valle Kommune books III, IV, V, VI?

Your help is much appreciated.

Kindest regards.

Barry J. Page :D

Sven Olaf Borg
Sted: ÅRNES
Kontakt:

Legg inn av Sven Olaf Borg » 22. mars 2008 kl. 13.18

Hello Barry,

I am not sure I have the right family. Do you have any further info on this family that might be of help? I can not get Johns birthdate to match. The one that might be the one, is born 1877. His father is Arne Jonsson Rysstad, farmer 1876 - 1877 that might be the right family. In 1900 they lived close to Arendal. Do you know when John came to Canada?

Sven

Brukeravatar
gj03981
Sted: CANADA

Legg inn av gj03981 » 22. mars 2008 kl. 20.19

Hej Sven! (22/03/08)

Thank you for your response and possible clue to the Johnson family connection. Little is known about my great-grandfather John Carl Johnson except he was a sailor (mariner) and worked as a steward. I have his marriage certificate, which I have attached to this post. If you want to contact me privately, my E-mail address is bjp1map@hurontel.on.ca. I notice yours is sven.borg@c2i.net.

John Carl Johnson married Elizabeth Ann Williams on 13 March, 1882 in the village of Weston-in-Gordano, Somerset, England. Unfortunately his age isn't shown, but his profession is "Steward on Merchant Ship". John's father's name is shown as, I believe, Arno Johnson; however the first name is indistinct and could be something similar to Arno, but a Scandinavian name that I don't know. His profession is a farmer.

The only other clue I have found is the record of a John Carl Johnson, mariner, appears in the 1881 census that lists him and another Norwegian sailor (Evan Olsen) boarding at a house in the community of Great Driffield, Yorkshire. The town is inland from several Yorkshire harbours. However, looking at some of the ships’ crew lists, many crewmembers came from inland towns (including Great Driffield) and not necessarily uniquely from the ports and harbours. This implies that lodgings for mariners were not unknown in inland towns. As yet I haven’t come across anything definitive for John Carl Johnson in the few crew lists I’ve reviewed (a couple of near-misses, though, as there were many seamen born in Arendal listed). If this is the correct John Carl Johnson, he would have been born in 1859.

My father, Peter John Page, John Carl's grandson, still lives in England and is 84 years old. I emigrated to Canada in 1973.

I have listed my enquiry on all the DIS Slektsforum sites for Aust-Agder (Arendal, Bykle, Valle, Bygland, Setesdal and Iveland), but yours is the only reply so far. Tack så mycket!

Vi hörs!

Mvh

- Barry :D
Du har ikke de nødvendige tillatelsene for å vise filene som er tilknyttet dette innlegget.

Svar

Gå tilbake til «Valle»