Moderator: MOD_Aust-Agder

Svar
Brukeravatar
gj03981
Sted: CANADA

Aanon Johnson og John Carl Johnson

Legg inn av gj03981 » 25. mars 2008 kl. 14.15

Hei!

I am trying to find information on John Carl Johnson. He was a mariner and may have been born or lived in Östre Moland or Lillesand and may have left Norway to go to England around the year 1880. He lived in the town of Great Driffield, in Yorkshire, England in 1881. He was 22 years old. His father may have been Aanon Johnson.

I believe he may be my great-grandfather. If anyone has any information or can suggest other Web sites, it would be appreciated.

Takk så meget!

Barry Page
Goderich, Ontario, Canada :D

gj05538
Sted: MANDAL

Re: Aanon Johnson og John Carl Johnson

Legg inn av gj05538 » 7. april 2008 kl. 18.47

I can`t find any Aanon Johnsen in connection with this Johan Carl Johansen that I have found,- son of Johan Martin Johannesen and Anne Johanne Johannesen, but maybe you could check out on him anyway. The name Johan could easily have been changed to John abroad :)

Baptism in Hisøy 1858 here: Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?i ... x_side=-32
Confirmation here: Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?i ... x_side=-66

His parents, Johan Martin Johannesen and Anne Johanne Jensdatter, married in Øyestad in 1845, couple no. 6, link : Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?i ... _side=-149

It might not be the right person. I tried to look for him in 1900 census, but couldn`t find him (NB Needs to be checked once more to be sure). If you find him married, or dead, in the churchrecords in Norway, he is surely the wrong guy (I haven`t checked out all that). :)

Good luck!

Regards from Linda

Brukeravatar
gj03981
Sted: CANADA

Re: Aanon Johnson og John Carl Johnson

Legg inn av gj03981 » 13. april 2008 kl. 22.30

Hei Linda!

Thank you for your response and possible clues to the Johnson family connection. Little is known about my great-grandfather John Carl Johnson except he was a sailor (mariner) and worked as a steward. I have his marriage certificate, which I can send to you if you want to contact me privately. My E-mail address is: bjp1map@hurontel.on.ca.

John Carl Johnson married Elizabeth Ann Williams on 13 March, 1882 in the village of Weston-in-Gordano, Somerset, England. Unfortunately his age isn't shown on the marriage certificate, but his profession is "Steward on Merchant Ship". John's father's name is shown, but the first name is indistinct and could be something like Aanon, Arne or Arno. His profession is a farmer.

The only other clue I have found is the record of a John Carl Johnson, mariner, appearing in the 1881 British census that lists him and another Norwegian sailor (Evan Olsen) boarding at a house in the community of Great Driffield, Yorkshire, England. The town is inland from several Yorkshire harbours. However, looking at some of the ships’ crew lists, many crewmembers came from inland towns (including Great Driffield) and not necessarily uniquely from the ports and harbours. This implies that lodgings for mariners were not unknown in inland towns. As yet I haven’t come across anything specific for John Carl Johnson in the few crew lists I’ve reviewed (a couple of near-misses, though, as there were many seamen born in Arendal listed). If this is the correct John Carl Johnson, he would have been born in 1859.

My father, Peter John Page, John Carl's grandson, still lives in England and is 84 years old. I emigrated to Canada in 1973.

Takk så meget!

Vi höres! Mvh!

Barry :D

Svar

Gå tilbake til «Lillesand»