Ektefelle med ingen forlovelse i Ogna

Moderator: MOD_Rogaland

Svar
gj08516
Sted: USA

Ektefelle med ingen forlovelse i Ogna

Legg inn av gj08516 » 14. januar 2009 kl. 3.49

Knud Larsen Herresvella ble gift med sin soskenbarn Sara Larsdatter Aniksdal (17) i Ogna, 30 Mai, 1825 - snart etter sin fars (Lars Knudsen Herresvella's) dod. Var Sara ikke hans ekte forlovede? I Ogna kirkebok, "Hvem Forloverne" = ingen. Knud, Sara, og barna flyttet fra Herredsvela i 1834, og flyttet til Amerika i 1845. Var Knud og Saras ektefelle skandalos, vanskelig?

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?i ... _side=-182

If anyone knows some information about these ancestors of mine, it would be greatly appreciated. Knud and Sara were a nephew and a niece of Christopher Vetteland. Tak! :?:

Anne Lisbeth Stavland
Sted: BREMNES

Re: Ektefelle med ingen forlovelse i Ogna

Legg inn av Anne Lisbeth Stavland » 14. januar 2009 kl. 17.44

Hello :)

I think it is a misunderstanding.
"Hvem forlovere" means "who are marriage witnesses". They served as witnesses to the fact that the bride and groom were not so closely related as to prohibit the marriage.

Cousins ougth to get permission to get married. So there should have been dispensation/witnesses here, and the priest would comment that in the record. But I guess that the priest could not always know if people were related to one another. I do not know why they were allowed to marry, and I have never seen marriage without witnesses before. I hope someone else can give an answere to that.

Mvh
Anne Lisbeth

gj08516
Sted: USA

Re: Ektefelle med ingen forlovelse i Ogna

Legg inn av gj08516 » 16. januar 2009 kl. 3.14

Anne Lisbeth - Thank you for your entry :D !

The genealogist Ola Aurenes was interested in what happened to this family and sent a telegram to my great-grandmother Harrisville in 1925, asking for details. They were among the earliest to emigrate, of the families he was researching.

I have sent some items to Lasse Aga, who is writing the new Aasland book. That book begins with Christopher Christophersen Aasland (born Vetteland). C. C. Aasland's sister, Malena, was Knud's mother and his sister Gjertrud was Sara's mother.

Between 1687 and the early 1800s, marriages between second-cousins or first-cousins were forbidden and only the crown could grant exceptions. Later in the 1800s, laws and attitudes about this relaxed. However, witnesses were certainly required for marriages in Norway when this happened. Most places in the world still require marriage witnesses.

Knud's father Lars Knudsen Herresville was known as "flinte folk" and mined the nickel and other metals at Herredsvela. He had married his second-cousin's daughter, Malena Kristoffersdatter Vetteland. Knud Larsen was his oldest child, and only son, and had many sisters. After having a daughter and two sons at the farm where he grew up, Knud moved to Marsteinsbakken in Skretting (1834), then to Stavanger(1843?), and then on to settle in Chicago (1845). Knud lost his wife Sara shortly after they came to America, probably in the cholera epidemics which were so severe among the Norwegians who settled near the waterfronts. I could not understand why they left, since Knud had his inheritance and many relatives. Mabye this marriage created some scandal and declining fortunes and eventually led to their decision to leave Norway. My family line comes from Knud Knudsen, born at Skretting, in 1835.

Svar

Gå tilbake til «Hå»